Tuesday 19 August 2008

do portals really add value for users ??

recently I have been reviewing a new portal design for a company. They have used a very well known product to do this. I have to say 1) not impressed with the company's out of the box offering as it's complete rubbish without a high level of customisation by a integrator partner.
Secondly do the "common people " (thanks Blur) have any idea of how to set a personalised portal up and then what they can do once they have.
From what I have seen I think not ....
a shame as they can be used for good, but where is the need, where is the solution and why oh why would people really bother to use them. If you are google, microsoft, yahoo etc with a world presence maybe, but for the company in question I really doubt it will hit the targetted audience.

A shame but reality from my seat.

No comments: