Friday 14 August 2009

it's time to really get serious about my love of the web

So coming back from a recent trip o/s and moving roles due to the downturn in the economy has really made me think long and hard about what I want to be doing. One of my loves is the web industry and I want to be involved in it as much as I possibly can.

To that end I'm going to post about my skillset and learnings and random entries about Usability, User experience, making things simpler to use etc. At all times I'll be doing what I love the most, which is helping people to make things simpler to use in everyday life to corporate systems, to make ourselves and our customers happy. A happy customer is someone who likes what 'u' do, sell or make and will give up their valuable $$ to get it.

So now that I've got my idea, I'm going to cover the following topics that all relate to how u or customers use what u do. Yep, this site will be all about what is hopefully relevant and important to u, both personally and professionally.

To do this I will be exploring my very diverse and extensive areas of interests, skills, knowledge and experience in such as :
  • Ensuring equal access for everyone, and the challenges u may face in design and using something
  • Web & mobile standards and guidelines and why they are so important to u
  • User Experience and Human Factor, and why users are everything
  • User & Interface Design (yes I think they are two different areas at present)
  • User Testing, Expert Reviews and Heuristic Evaluations - see what really happens
  • Personas - documenting the people u want to have, notice and like what u are offering them
  • Prototypes and wireframes - the visual aids u might use in web development
  • Information Architecture - how u make content come alive for ur customers
  • Knowledge and Content Management - including wikis and re-use
  • RDF and the Semantic side of the web - how u add structure to ur world
  • Seperation of content, presentation and structure - XML and the like
  • Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Analytics
  • Online Marketing - how u connect with ur audience
  • Social Networking, blogging, and other sharing experiences and how they can be used by u in ur life
  • Digital media and communications - making ur comms work for u
  • Web 2.0 and Enterprise 2.0
  • Web 3.0 - what's the next areas of interest for u and ur users
  • The world of Portability - from mobile (small screen) to notebooks (mid screen)
  • Business Analysis including requirements gathering, customer relationships and even agile methodologies - documenting what u and ur audience want/need
  • User Acceptance Testing and Auditing - ensuring what u and ur audience recieve
  • Project and time management and how u ensure projects deliver on time, on budget
  • quality, risk and process management - smart strategies to help u really deliver change and invigorate
  • Metrics, benchmarks, forecasting and analytical review of data - I may even look into data mining (not everyones favourite but I am to show u how these tools are valuable skills)
  • and of course a few other things that I've forgotten, that I'll pull out of my bag of tricks later.
Hope u will be as excited about the content as I am in writing it.

No comments: